Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ahoy, me hearties!

Well, my middle daughter Rebecca celebrated her 5th birthday this past weekend, and her pirate party was a spectacular success! Upon arriving at the party, the guests got to dress up like pirates with bandanas and eyepatches. They also got to choose a tattoo for their arm, because what's a pirate without a tattoo or two?? Then they got to decorate a paper towel tube with stickers and markers to create a telescope. When all the guests had arrived, I brought them into the living room to listen to a pirate story. I read "Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate," and my awesome husband actually dressed up like Pirate Pete and played the part! The kids were cracking up. They really got involved in the story...by the end they were shouting, "Walk the plank!" right along with him.

Then it was time to go outside and play some pirate games. The kids played in the pirate ship for awhile, then I led a few organized games. We played sharks and minnows, walk the plank (thanks to my dad for building us a fantastic plank!), and musical islands. The last game was the cannonball pop, where we tied balloons to the kids' ankles with string, then they ran around the yard trying to pop each other's balloons. It was hilarious! After all that running around, it was time to sit down and enjoy a snack of fruit kabobs, cheese cubes, and goldfish crackers.



Our final activity was the eagerly anticipated treasure hunt!!! Earlier in the week I had written out a bunch of clues on these little cards, and that morning I hid them around the yard. They said things like, "If searching for treasure is your thing, Take a look near the place where you swing.". Each time I read a clue, the girls took turns figuring out where the next one was hidden, and they all ran off to find it! They were SO enthusiastic. They each had a drawstring goody bag, and when they finally found the treasure chest, I doled out handfuls of treasure trick-or-treat style, to make sure everyone got the same amount. The treasure consisted of plastic pirate coins, rings, candy, stickers, and tattoos. It was really fun.

Last but not least, it was time to sing Happy Birthday and eat some cake!!! I made a treasure chest cake full of chocolate gold coins, ring pops, candy necklaces, and rock candy. The kids went wild for it. I was really happy with how well it turned out...I have to admit that I felt a little sad when I had to cut it up and serve it!

All in all, it was a great party and I know that we made some lasting memories for Rebecca. She is a very special girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment