Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cake Marathon!

Four cakes in four days...whew! I feel like all I've done for the past week is mix, bake, roll, knead, frost, and fondant! Oh wait, that IS what I've been doing all week! :) But it's been a blast. I had so much fun making these cakes. They were all totally different and unique in their own way. So here are the photos!

Cake #1: A pizza cake for a tween girl's birthday
This was a yellow cake that I baked in a 10" springform pan. I frosted the top with buttercream frosting tinted red (for the "sauce"), then sprinkled it with "cheese" make from grated white and yellow chocolate candies. All the toppings are made out of fondant. Pretty realistic, huh?


Cake #2: Caterpillar cake for a 3-year-old's birthday party
I used a rounded cake mold to create the segments of the caterpillar's body, then covered each cake with different colors of fondant. Some of the segments were chocolate cake, and others were vanilla cake tinted green. The kids thought it was pretty cool to eat the green innards of a caterpillar. :)



Cake #3: A fish cake for a summer pool party
This is a two layer 8" round yellow cake. I frosted it with vanilla buttercream tinted blue to look like the ocean. The letters and fish were cut out of fondant. I marbelized two colors of fondant together to create the multi-colored fish. The "sand" at the bottom is crushed up graham crackers.


Cake #4: A tiered cake for a grandma's 90th birthday
This was a three-tiered chocolate cake covered with white fondant and accented with black and silver polka dots. The client wanted to make sure that Grandma knew this cake was just for her, so her name was put front and center! :) I shaped the letters by hand out of black fondant. When I dropped the cake off, one of the great-granddaughters oohed and aahed over it and said, "I want a cake like that!" I told her that when she's 90 years old I'll make one for her. :)


A side view:

No comments:

Post a Comment