Sunday, August 29, 2010

Three Cake Weekend - DONE!!! :)

I had the pleasure of making three cakes this weekend, each one unique and wonderful in its own way. The first one was ordered by a friend of mine who works at the local racquet club. She wanted me to make a "thank you cake" for the teenage counselors who had worked at the club's summer sports camp. The club has a rock-climbing wall, which is one of the campers' very favorite activities during the camp. So I decided to make a rock-climbing cake. I sculpted the "rock" out of Rice Krispy treats, then covered it with gray fondant. Then I added some little "hand-holds" out of different colors of fondant, and used a few Polly Pocket dolls as my "rock-climbers." The rock sat on top of a two layer yellow cake with chocolate mousse filling, frosted with vanilla buttercream. The letters are made of melted wafer candies poured into an alphabet mold.



The teenage counselors were pretty amazed by the cake - here they are before digging in!



The following day I made a cake for a girl named Danielle's 11th birthday party. (Her mom was the silent auction winner of the pink and black invitations in a previous post - scroll down to see them.) We decided to stick with the pink and black theme and make a cake with those colors. I had never done zebra stripes before, so that was really fun. This quickly became one of my all-time favorite cakes - I'm sure one of my daughters will have a similar looking one for a birthday at some point! The feather boa was a playful way to jazz up this already super cool cake. It was chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, covered with fondant.



And last, but not least, I made a three-layer "Cherry Garcia" cake for a bridal shower on Sunday. It was chocolate cake with a maraschino cherry cream cheese filling, frosted in vanilla almond buttercream. Super YUM. This was the first time I used fresh flowers to decorate a cake, and I have to say that I'm hooked! Such a beautiful and easy way to decorate. I purchased the flowers on Saturday morning at our local farmer's market (pesticide-free organic, of course!), then cut and wrapped the stems in floral tape before inserting the flowers into the cake. The bride's wedding colors were described as "autumn colors," so I chose yellow, orange, brown, and dark purple flowers.



Here's a closeup of the piping on the side of the cake:

No comments:

Post a Comment