Saturday, September 25, 2010

Cake Acronym Lesson #1: FBCT

I am a member of several online cake-decorating forums, where I gather ideas, collect new recipes, and learn new techniques.  Like experts in any field, the experienced cake decorators on these sites are constantly throwing around mysterious acronyms.  (I grew up as an Army brat, so I know all about acronyms!!)  Anyway, sometimes I can figure them out myself, and other times I actually have to Google them to figure out what the heck these people are talking about.  FBCT was one of the acronyms that had me stumped.  A quick search revealed that it stands for "frozen buttercream transfer."  Perfectly clear now, right?  Well, um, not for me.  Nope, next I had to figure out what a frozen buttercream transfer actually WAS.

And let me say that the knowledge has CHANGED MY LIFE.

Well, at the very least, it has changed the way I decorate cakes.  This technique opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for me!  Allow me to tell you first that my drawing skills leave a lot to be desired.  Like, a LOT.  Like, my skills are limited to stick people and crude, childlike sketches.  So, when a friend recently asked me to make a Super Mario cake for her son, I was thinking "how the heck am I going to do this????"

Voila!  FBCT!!!!

Basically you just print out a photo or graphic or drawing of whatever it is that you want to have on your cake.  In my case, Super Mario.  Then you put a layer of waxed paper over the image and pipe different colors of buttercream frosting onto the design.  When it's all finished, you put it in the freezer for a bit to let it firm up.  Then you flip it over, set it on your cake, peel off the waxed paper, and TA DA!!  Absolute magic!!!  Here's proof...check out my super awesome Super Mario!!  (If you're wondering why  he's flying through the galaxy, there is a video game called Mario Galaxy where Mario, well, flies through the galaxy.)

2 comments:

  1. I use the technique LOTS on my cakes - in fact getting ready to do one this week as well. LOVE FBCT - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Mario ROCKS! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have included the mushrooms around the sides of the cake -- we just had to keep a couple of those things - they were so cute!

    ReplyDelete