Friday, April 1, 2011

Swiss Alps Cake!



This cake was for a 7-year-old girl having a Switzerland themed birthday party.  She requested a cake that featured the three famous peaks of the Swiss Alps: the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau.  I made the actual "peaks" out of rice krispy treats, because I wanted them to be nice and pointy at the top.  Then I baked a vanilla cake in a 9x13 pan, cut it in half, and stacked the two layers with vanilla buttercream in between.  I put the rice krispy peaks on top and then carved the cake downward to create my "mountain range."  Then I covered the cake with buttercream frosting tinted grey to resemble the grey-colored rock.  I sifted a little powdered sugar on top and voila!  Snow-capped mountains!  Here are the real ones.  Aren't they amazing???


Next came the fun part - creating the scene.  I used blue buttercream frosting to make a stream, then covered the rest of the cake board with green grass.  The flowers, letters, and figures are all made out of fondant.  I love how the little Swiss girl turned out.  She actually looked a lot like the birthday girl herself!


I also made a cow figure to represent an annual mountain tradition in Switzerland called the desalpe, which takes place in the fall.  After grazing in Alpine pastures during the spring and summer, the cows are lead back down to the plains, decorated with flowers and wearing giant cow bells.  I just adore the expression on this little cow's face.  Isn't he cute???


 And here's a real photo from the desalpe:


Years ago my husband and I thought about taking a trip to Switzerland, but we just never got around to it.  After doing the research for this cake and seeing so many beautiful photos of the country, I'm thinking we need to make that trip happen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment