Monday, August 8, 2011

40th Birthday Cake

This was a challenging (but fun!) cake to make, mainly because I had to find a way to link together a bunch of random design ideas into one super classy, cohesive cake creation.  (Like my alliteration?)  I corresponded with the birthday girl's husband via email, and I asked him a variety of questions to try and figure out what the cake should include, and what its overall appearance should be.  So here's the information I gathered about the recipient and her personality and interests:

-Has three daughters
-Is training for her first triathlon
-Loves the beach
-Prefers neutral colors, like khaki and navy blue
-Style is classy and understated
-Loves chocolate!!

And here is what I created:


It's a two tier chocolate cake with chocolate chips and chocolate buttercream filling.  I frosted the outside with vanilla buttercream tinted pale blue.  The panels on the side feature silhouettes of her three daughters (on the top layer) and the three parts of a triathlon (swimming, biking, running - on the bottom layer).  I made the silhouettes out of Wilton Sugar Sheets and "matted" each one onto a fondant circle.  I finished off the cake with a "40" on top, fondant shells (40 of them, of course!), and "sand" made out of brown sugar and graham cracker crumbs.  I was so pleased with how it turned out, and happy that I was able to incorporate all of the husband's design ideas into one cake.  The best part is, the birthday girl loved it too! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment